2.08.2012

The Things People Say

Prior to the chickens arriving, you will recall that I met up with a woman at Old Navy who was carting around newborn twins. I was so ecstatic to see someone out in public with twins, I actually spoke to her. She was the first parent to tell me that the one crazy thing about twins is that when out in public people will always want to talk to you and will ask dumb questions. I heard this from other twin moms and read it a few times in various books and articles. I am here to tell you, it is true. Twins bring out some dumb questions from strangers.

I am leaving the best story for Rick to post on his blog (I promise to nudge him again to get it done) but here is the start of my list, which I will no doubt add to when I get a worthy question.

The top two most obvious stupid questions:

  • Are they twins?
  • Are they girls? (I could give people a pass on this one if they were older but right now they ride around in pink and black car seats and all of our good going out blankets contain a high amount of pink.
The real dilemma is how to respond. I am building up to tell someone that they are not twins or at the very least that they have two different dads. I'll let you know if I ever pull it off.

While out at Target earlier this week, I got the the first two questions and then I got the follow-up question (which isn't a dumb one but her commentary was).

Stranger: How old are they?
Me: One month.
Stranger: Well, they look too small to be 1 month old. Shouldn't they be bigger?
Me: They are bigger than they were. (Yes, I did say that. I was bruised especially since I have spent countless nights nursing to help these girls grow and based on my scientific method of weighing myself holding a baby, they are about 8-9 lbs right now.)

In other chicken news, they both had ultrasounds on their hips and now have to go to orthopedic surgeon to see if we need to get them in little baby hip harnesses. This is all apparently very normal for twin girls especially born breech. We go in on Thursday to meet the ortho and I will update everyone once we know more.

Boys are doing well. They are both super busy at school right now and baseball starts in the coming weeks.  Things are about to get interesting.

Finally, Rick and I both celebrate our birthdays this month. We are both too tired to get too worked up them but we got a nice surprise from some friends the other day. They asked us to bring over all 4 kids on Sunday so Rick and I can go out and have dinner. We are both giddy and exhausted and therefore unsure where we will go. We do know we are lucky to have such fabulous friends.


No comments: