12.22.2011

Christmas Crafting

Sometime in early November I hit a panic about having two new babies and two active boys at home during Christmas break and nothing to do. So while I was out, most likely panic Christmas shopping, I picked up a few Christmas craft projects that I thought the boys would enjoy.

The first craft we tackled, no photos, was painting ornaments. I envisioned family heirlooms but instead I got some haphazard ornaments (one is painted only in glow in the dark paint). Both boys had invited a friend over (girls) who took time and precision to make some very nice ornaments. I thought this would inspire the boys but they wanted to play, get some cookies and cocoa, and they had the added distraction of another boy that needed a place to hang while his mom ran a few errands. It probably didn't help that I was also in the midst of a project at work and was trying to monitor/help kids and work at the same. Basically a failed craft/play date and  project.

Of course that didn't stop me and the other day we broke out Christmas craft project #2. Painting Nutcrackers. Both boys have a thing for the Nutcracker so this seemed like a winner of a craft. The boys were ready, I was ready, queue up the holiday music  and watch fantastic Christmas creations emerge from the imagination and creativity of my kids. All started well until we ran in  to a small glitch, the guys have hair and while I tried to protect their beards, I couldn't think of a creative way to protect their hair and within minutes there was frustration about paint on the hair, which soon lead to melt-downs on both sides, and then lead to  some creative story telling and painting. Turns out both Nutcrackers got involved in battles, ended with eye patches and the following paint jobs.


The boys aren't the only ones experiencing failure with crafting. After reading several blogs about taking fabulous Christmas light photos, I convinced the Lucas/Largent clans to head down to Mozart's to get hot cocoa and see their Christmas light show. Needless to say, despite believing I had my DSLR settings done properly and taking 20 plus photos, I did not capture a single incredible Christmas lights at night image. I have to give props to the kids who patiently posed and reposed in cold rain while Lexy and I attempted camera super stardom. Hopefully she had better luck and got at least one good shot of the kids.


There is good news though. JT has successfully made two batches of Christmas cookies (for the most part on his own). I had cancelled Christmas baking because again, I thought I'd be sleep deprived. JT had asked if he could take up the challenge and made one batch of Grandma Jesse's thimble cookies and a batch of her Mexican Wedding cakes. We now have cookies for Santa (including our special treat of Polish cookies from Aunt Paula).

No comments: