11.05.2010

stealth sleeper

There are many mornings that I have woken up surprised to find that I am sharing a bed with one child, sometimes two, or that somehow two children have kicked Rick to the couch. Sometimes I worry that I don't wake up; I recall my mom always waking late at night the minute I walked back in to the house as a teenager. Will this skill come to me magically?

I guess it should come as no surprise then that the other night I had no clue the Stealth Sleeper had snuck in to our bed. Let me start by explaining that Jet has this amazing skill that I have ever seen in a dog. Instead of jumping up on furniture or a bed, he quickly glides up almost like Dracula or Bat Man. One minute he is standing behind you and then suddenly he is curled up on the bed. It is a bit freaky.  And that is exactly what happened to me last night. I set off for bed, leaving Rick to finish whatever was on TV and by the time I was ready to get myself under the covers Jet was already up on the bed and curled up on Rick's side. I left him there. I admit this isn't the best tactic but I think after seeing Ella's rapid decline we are all filled with the "life is short" attitude, which means Jet gets to be more spoiled than his predecessors. I snuggle up, I quickly fall asleep, I remember briefly waking when I heard Rick talk to Jet and I just made the assumption that he was telling Jet to get out of bed. Fast forward an hour or so later when I wake because I am freezing and I need to find a back up blanket but I hesitate because I have both cats snuggled up on one side and call me odd but I really don't want to disturb them. I stir a little, try to steal some more blankets from Rick at which point I feel something furry up by my head. I am not sure if I woke Rick or if was still awake but he quickly confirmed my suspicion that Jet was in fact still in our bed and sleeping up on my pillow with no intention of leaving. Love ruled that night and Rick shared some of his blankets with me agreeing that if I got out of bed it would disrupt the whole bed. I warmed up, fell back asleep, and when my alarm went off at 5, I and my 3 furry friends all woke and got out of bed to start our days.
As a side note, Jet got in bed last night too but he got in at the bottom on Rick's feet and I am not sure he enjoyed it as much as he was in his own bed when I got up this morning.

No comments: