9.03.2014

Scary Shit!

The girls are really, really excited about Halloween. Who knows where they get that from?! To help satiate their requests for "spooky" books I've been getting Halloween books from the library. I just picked up some new ones and we were settling down in their room to read them when out from underneath their bookshelf at an abnormally fast speed came this guy.



I screamed, Lulu screamed, Kit Kat started crying and we all three jumped up on their bed. I then (and I apologize for this for many reasons primarily to the library) took one of our books and smashed our visitor.

Rick had his  PTO crew over to start planning the fall carnival so I went and got JT who was clearly the wrong choice because he screamed and jumped in the bed with the girls. I asked him to get me something to pick it up with and he returned with one (!) paper towel. I sent him back for a container so I could preserve the kill. I then scooted the spider out into the hallway, managed to sweep it into the container and put the lid on.

Thankfully my fabulous friend Rebecca has a good friend (who has a PhD in bugs and stuff ) and thanks to the magic of our connected worlds, we identified the spider as a Wolf spider (not a brown recluse as I was 100% it was). I felt a wee bit bad for killing it, worse about using the book, and not real pleased that this spider came to our house.

I kept looking at the spider all night and shaking the container to ensure it was dead but by the time I went to bed I placed it outside because I was certain there was a decent chance that it wasn't dead and knew how to bust out of a container. Turns out it doesn't know how to open tupperware and it is actually dead.

And to get the spider image out of your head, here are the chickens checking out the Halloween store.

No comments: