2.03.2014

Electronic Ephemera


I was having an email debate the other day with a friend. I argued that I am a private person who doesn't let too many people in my life. He argued that this blog proves I am not private. I think in my mind, my mom is really the only one that reads this blog. So for everyone that isn't my mom, I still believe I am a private person but I will share some personal thoughts today.

Moving the bookshelf has involved going through the hundreds of books that we have. HUNDREDS! I am not sure it is a good idea to have two bibliophiles get married. During the bookshelf move I found a few books from college classes that while I should part with I can't because I have various personal notes and heart scribbled throughout. I also came across a small notebook that Jennie O had given me during high school. She went through the book and scribbled quotes that were significant to our teen-aged selves. After getting the notebook, I spent years filling it with quotes, ticket stubs, poems, and other ephemera. And so I stand before you and announce that I am a ephemera addict.

Some of my favorite items are my bulletin board that hangs above my desk with various cuttings, business cards, postcards, etc, a scrapbook of sorts with childhood mementos that my mom made me as a gift, and my grandma Ellen's scrapbook. Their common theme: EPHEMERA!


Small notebook from JO on the right and check out the photo in the book my mom made me - you can see my teen age room and all the ephemera I collected back then!

Early this morning, I realized that I've taken this addiction to a new level. Electronic Ephemera. I see quotes, sayings, poems, song lyrics and I write them down in my work notebook or copy and paste them on my computer. I am the reason Pinterest was invented.

A few days ago I came across the quote below that has stuck with me and in admitting my addiction to electronic ephemera I decided to share. (it comes courtesy of http://www.lilblueboo.com/)

quote via lilblueboo.com

I think this one resonates so much as my birthday arrives. I've taken to reviewing the past year during my birthday versus NYE and taking stock in what I've learned, what I need to let go, and what I need to work on. 2013 or Year 38 was a year full of lots of events and people. I met new friends, lost friends, had once in a lifetime experiences, felt frustrated, happy, sad...you get the point. A few months ago, I found myself beating myself up for some of my experiences/decisions but as I read this quote I realize that I can't regret decisions I made. I need to remember that whether they were good or poor choices they have helped me find joy; helped me realize the path(s) I need to take.

Year 39 is going to be a year of being more open to new experiences, new people, and not beating myself up for the choices I make. I am going to work on not being timid. Choices have to be made and I am doing the best I can to make the best choices. I am still learning to sail my ship.

And yep - I think I've worked in birthday talk to the last few blog posts. Oddly I haven't gotten very many cards or flowers.

No comments: