10.12.2011

idle threats

On Monday the boys convinced me that we should go to Target to get a birthday present for a party JT was going to but what they were really interested in was seeing how they could spend their combined $9.
So long story short, upon realization of what we were really at Target for, I informed the boys that I thought it was best for them to look around and then they could work on saving more money to buy something. I also stated that no one would be getting legos since we are in a lego transition right now and need to focus on moving legos from one storage unit to another. The task seems to be taking longer as the boys get sidetracked and build things.

Fair warning, when you combine 1 tired child who has $4.50 and who believes that if he looks hard enough there is a lego set that costs just that, you get a cranky, Target meltdown. This meltdown was especially fun because we found ourselves in the baby aisle so I could look at car seats (I guess you still have to put newborns in car seats - go figure!). The shelves are arranged to hold the large toddler seat boxes, which means with a box missing from the shelf there was a nice spot for Zach to crawl in and hide while yelling the following:

"Fine! I am just going to stay here and live right here at Target and when you come back to shop if you are going to let me buy legos I will go home with you but if not then I will just keep living here until you say I can buy legos."

What was even better was the poor grandmother that was in the aisle with us and who initially couldn't see Zach and therefore she had no clue where the yelling was coming from. She seemed overly confused especially when I accepted Zach's offer and started walking away. He met us at the exit and then while in the car, between hysterics of crying he made the next comment:

"You  just don't trust me. Whenever you drop something, you ask JT to pick it up. I never get to pick up anything you drop!"

When we got home, he went straight to his room, took an hour long nap and then had one of his best t-ball games ever which included the following performance:
  • throwing out a runner at first from third base
  • hitting a home run
  • getting all three outs in one inning while playing at the pitcher position
  • and throwing a ball from (short) center field to home and almost getting the out
He was awarded game ball for his outstanding effort but he has yet to get any new legos. Poor kid.

1 comment:

Chandra said...

Get the poor kid some dang legos!