6.29.2011

life lesson

This morning I learned an important life lesson: Ultrasound technicians do not like to joke around.
About a month ago Rick and I learned that we were unexpectedly expecting a third Lucas child. It has taken a good month and lots of ice cream to process this news. Since I am advanced maternal age, I went in today to have the ultrasound that measures for downs and based on results they decide whether to do additional genetic testing. Since I didn't have this with either boy, it has been causing me a bit of angst.

My appointment didn't start well as I had the times messed up. The ultrasound tech took me in despite being late and she pulled up an image of a cute stretched out sleeping baby. My immediate thought was that he was enjoying all the room he had but what I said to the ut was "Still just one in there right?" The ut immediately turned off the machine and said she couldn't continue with today's testing. I thought she was disappointed with me being late but she turned back on the machine and told me that there actually were two babies in my belly. Yes, twins. I tried to cry but all I could do is laugh. I think I asked her at least 10 times if she was sure and then the only thing I could think to ask was "Are they conjoined?" (they aren't)

We got some shots of the babies, both sleeping in identical positions. I will go back in on Friday to do the testing on both babies to ensure everything looks good and then we will move on from there. These little guys will come in December instead of January (new baby doctor rules say you keep twins in for 36 weeks instead of 40).

Good times ahead for the Lucas clan. Zach is excited that he gets his own baby as he firmly believed JT was going to hog the one baby. I will keep you posted on how things go but I will have to admit that I don't plan on taking photos of my weekly growth especially since it will be hard to tell how much is due to ice cream.

5 comments:

jackie said...

OMG! What great news--how exciting! I'm hoping for two girls to even things out for you.

Amanda M. said...

Wow, how awesome! Great for you guys - and I second Jackie. Two girls would definitely even things out! :)

Kassio said...

OMG....I'm speechless! Congrats. Very excited for you. I agree on the girl front, otherwise if all boys at least you know what you are doing and get to be the queen of the castle. Very exciting.

Lexy said...

SO excited for you! I can't wait to have my very own baby during baseball games next year! ;-)

The Ogden's said...

I'm slowing catching up on reading blogs (way behind obviously) and saw this post! Wow, congrats to you guys!!!!