1.14.2011

taking a break for puke

Today was one of those days. I stayed up late to get some work done, which meant I was super slow to get up this morning. Rick was subbing today so by 7:30 the house was empty. I was in a daze for a good portion of the morning but finally pulled myself together to get some work done and that is where things went from a lazy, quiet Friday to a mess. By 11 am, I realized that I had been on the phone consistently for 2 hours, had yet to shower, and needed to take lunch to Rick. By 11:30, I was back on the phone until 1 at which point I finally showered and decided to take a break by attending the POPs rally at school. No, I really don't have any idea what POPs means but basically they bring all the kids together in the gym, parents show up, the acknowledge good grades, attendance, and then there is usually some special guest or event.
Back at the rally. I get there just a bit early and  as luck would have it I get to be right next to Zach's class. I knew the moment I saw Zach enter the gym that something wasn't right. He almost walked right past me and didn't seem his usual cheery self at the sight of familiar faces and a captive audience. I watched as one of his little friends kept turning around and getting in Zach's face, talking to him, touching him, and I noticed that Zach just ignored him and his invitations to goof around. And then we all stood to sing the National Anthem. Now some of you have been blest, truly blest, with the opportunity to listen to Zach belt out the National Anthem. No one quite captures the essence of the line "with the dog's early light" in the way that Zach does. At first my attention was focused on the guest up front that was leading everyone in song but then I turned to Zach at which point I noticed he wasn't singing. And about the same time I pondered what his lack of singing could mean he opened his mouth and let out his lunch. Interesting point, the little friend who had been all over Zach when they first came in, had oddly moved away at the moment of the puke and thankfully everyone was spared. I think I may have let out an "oh shit!" as I and a few teachers jumped in to action. I honestly was paralyzed for a moment and could only think "I need Rick." Was I supposed to stay and help clean up the puke, where was I suppose to take Zach, did we just put an end to the rally, and do you get in trouble for puking during the anthem? I got Zach to the office, we found Rick and we made it home without incident.
The little guy isn't himself still. Luckily we were planning a family movie night with some Smokey and the Bandit so on this rainy, cold night we are all happy to just be lazy under some blankets.

Happy Weekend to everyone!

No comments: