1.21.2011

puppies

This story gets a brief preface:
Our sweet little Jet has a brother named Ollie who lives with our friends the Largents. Because of this close tie there are endless questions about their differences and similarities. Of course while JT and I are out walking, he hits me with the following lines of questions.

JT: When is Ollie's birthday?
Me: Same as Jet's.
JT: So they are twins?
Me: No - they are brothers.
JT: But if they were born on the same day, they are twins.
Me: Well with dogs they have lots of babies at once. It is called a litter. The mom has lots of eggs.
Note: No I have no idea why I brought in the topic of the egg but I was at a loss for how else to explain a litter.
JT: So when does the shell crack off?
Me:  The shell?
JT: Of the egg so the babies can come out.
Note: Yes at this point I am screaming internally, "Why me? Why am I having this conversation and not Rick? We are way too young for this conversation."
Me: Oh they aren't that kind of egg. They are like jello eggs, no shell.
JT: silence
Me: still in a little panic and worried about the silence; too much silence means he is thinking this whole conversation over.
JT: Wish we could have played baseball today.
Me: Yeah, me too. And then I did a little mental happy dance that I was out of the egg, baby conversation and on to something that I could actually talk about. Well until he hit me up with:
JT: Mom what does poem mean?
Me: Well, it a form of writing
JT: No, where does it come from? Like amphibians means two lives.
Me: Amphibians means two lives? Really?
JT: You know, the frog is a tadpole and then a frog. (Internally he was thinking - "my mom doesn't know much - she thinks babies are in jello eggs and she is clueless about the word amphibian. Gheesh!")

1 comment:

Chandra said...

Ha ha ha ha! Jello eggs!!! That's a good one Meghan! Dang kids.