1.31.2009

Deep Thoughts With Zach Fu

Rick and I have been half-heartily trying to get Zachy to stop wearing diapers. Honestly, after all the stress and pressure I put on myself and JT to get him out of diapers, I really could care less is Zachy stays in diapers until he is 18.
Ok, I do care a little. I care because what comes out of Zach is disgusting and I am tired of dealing with adult poop. We are well passed the cute baby poop stage.
That said, we have resorted to the time old tradition of bribery. I tried the poop/potty treasure bags that worked wonders on JT but Zachy doesn't really care about what is inside the bags. Rick tried to take the Wii away but that one didn't work too well because it meant JT had to give it up as well. Which brings us to our latest attempt, I announced to Zach that if he could start using the potty and wearing underwear during the day, I would take him to a toy store and he could get whatever Star Wars toy he wanted (ok, except the $200 Millennium Falcon - there are actually limits). This seemed to interest Zach but not enough to really start using the potty.

Today JT asked if I would take him to Target to see the new Legos that are out on the market. Being the best mom ever, we headed to Target. We checked out the Legos and then headed to the Star Wars aisle to see what was new. Zachy found the Sand Pit set (you know the one where Jabba is going to push Luke over the edge to the big sand snake thing). Zach is hugging it and talking about how cool it is and this conversation happens:

JT: Mom, can Zachy get that cool Star Wars sand set (note here that JT is trying to pretend like he doesn't like Star Wars nearly as much as Zach but he secretly does like it).
Me: No, not today but if Zach learns to use the potty and wear underwear he can get it.
JT: Zachy did you hear that? If you use the potty you can get Star Wars toys.
Me: (important to clarify the loop hole JT believes he has discovered) Zachy has to be out of diapers and wearing underwear during the day to get a new toy.
There is a pause in the conversation and then Zachy jumps in.
Zachy: Mom, can JT get this Star Wars toy? He wears underwear and uses the potty.

4 comments:

thenguyens said...

Zachy is one smart kid. Owen was a month away from his 4th b-day when he finally surrendered and starting wearing underwear. I remember thinking I was going to have to buy Depends because he almost outgrew size 6 diapers.

The Ogden's said...

That is hilarious!

jackie said...

I'm SO over potty training and we've got one to go. I just had a conversation this week about potty training with some moms and this one lady pops in to say that she never had to do any rewards or anything with her kids because she just "waited until they were ready." Oh, geesh, that never occurred to me! [Grumble grumble.]

Anonymous said...

Smart kid, that Zach. JT, too. I'm already dreading potty training Slade, and seeing as soiled diapers in no way impact his mood, I'm guessing the training will last months, perhaps years, beyond birthday number 3. Thanks for reminding of the fun that awaits.