6.26.2008

Potty Training 101

When JT was potty training something horrible happened; I became obsessed. I stopped at nothing to bribe, coerce, guilt JT in to using the potty. Potty training became an agonizing event and JT's lack of success became a personal affront to me.

I finally opted for a Potty Box; basically a shoe box filled with various items from the dollar store and Target. This method worked well until JT quickly realized that there were no parameters around the amount that had to be in the toilet to get an prize.

It all worked out. JT will not go to kindergarten in diapers. After the JT fiasco I made myself the following promises:
  • Zach could wear diapers until he was 18
  • I would never, ever again use a Potty Box as a potty training method




I guess using a "Pee Bag" and a "Poop Bag" don't officially count as a Potty Box. Do they?
I seriously was going to let Zach wear diapers forever but he starting asking for pull-ups because according to him he wants to use the potty. I guess this is something he learned from school as I also swore I would never waste money investing in pull-ups. Zach has his own set of Diego pull-ups now too.
The next few months should be loads of fun!
At least JT is excited about potty training. He keeps telling stories about the stuff he got out of his box. I guess that is good?!

2 comments:

Suzette said...

Are you keeping the pee and the poop in seperate bags? I suggest using the toilet for those items.

Chandra said...

YAY Zachy!!!