6.24.2008

8 Years and Counting

This is the most recent photo I have of us. This one is from last September. Hard to believe the photo below is us 8 years ago.


What a wild day our wedding was. I cried the entire time despite the fact that I really was happy. Rick's dad was sick and stuck in a hospital in Spokane; he missed the entire day. Michelle was 6 months pregnant with Owen! Dad trumped mom's and my reception plans and picked a small restaurant that had yet to open but with a chef that my dad really liked. No complaints on dad's decision though; 8 years later and Rick and I would both agree that our reception was probably one of the best meals we have ever eaten.

We haven't done anything too wild to celebrate. We went out to dinner this weekend. We tried going to Sandra Bullock's restaurant Bess but some woman named Kate decided to trump us with a private party to celebrate her 40th birthday. We ended up having a fine time at Asti.
It really is hard to believe that we've been married 8 years and have two kids. It hasn't always been easy but there is always laughter and I think I love him more today than I did 8 years ago. We'll see what the next 8 years bring.
Since I am feeling so nostalgic, here is the Pablo Neruda poem I insisted we have at our wedding:
Sonnet XLIV
You must know that I do not love and that I love you,
because everything alive has its two sides;
a word is one wing of silence,fire has its cold half.
I love you in order to begin to love you,
to start infinity again and never to stop loving you:
that’s why I do not love you yet.
I love you, and I do not love you,
as if I heldkeys in my hand:
to a future of joy-a wretched, muddled fate-
My love has two lives, in order to love you:
that’s why I love you when I do not love you,
and also why I love you when I do.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa...hard to believe it has been 8 years. Congrats! That is fantastic. You guys are a great pair. Kassio

Unknown said...

it's not really 8 years is it?!?! it WAS a memorable day and a yummy reception. june 24th is a great day for great couples ;) cheers to you two and many more decades of bliss!

Chandra said...

Aw!!!! I love those pictures!