6.24.2014

14!

I spent yesterday trying to think of some deep thoughts about 14 years of marriage but I am not sure I have anything profound to add. Marriage is hard and it is also fabulous. How profound is that?

“Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.”  Katherine Hepburn


Rick and I have seen some great times and some tough times. We don't always get along and we don't always agree. There are times I am certain we've both thought about whether this is where we wanted to be. I have no clue what the next 14 years will bring but then again I would have never guessed the events of the last 14 years.  I do know that in August 1997  I met a guy who made me laugh so much that  my stomach hurt and that same guy continues to make me laugh each and every day and as long as we continue to laugh, we will be ok.


“Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.”
― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet




No comments: