7.03.2013

people's bodies

I have to admit one of my current flaws is that I live in my closet literally and figuratively. Yes, I share my closet space with Albert (the 15 year old cat) so I can work and not be bothered by the household but I also rarely listen to the news or really know what is going on. There are issues in Egypt? Some guy name Snowden is in trouble? I am clueless. I only know about recent events in Texas because a friend of mine posted a photo to her Instagram account (Instagram is my preferred method for getting information about people versus facebook - I like your photos but don't want to hear your thoughts). I have to admit I am ashamed of myself for not knowing more, not doing more. Does signing up for a I'm with Wendy bumper sticker count as taking action? I used to be so involved, I was a budding activist in my own right (thanks to my mom), I was informed, I had opinions. Hmm...where I am now? Living in a closet.

I am formulating a Meghan project right now. This is getting way deep but I've lost a few things about myself that I going to spend some time working on. This includes me figuring out what I stand for and what I want out of life.

So while I work on that, I have to admit I am going to use the voice of another to express how I feel about life in Texas politics at this moment especially now that I have two daughters and someday two daughters-in-laws and I want them to always have the right to make decisions about their bodies. I realize this is such a sensitive topic but as this woman (who honestly I don't know but is friends with a friend of mine) states this issue is about "protecting the lives of women, and of girls."  I don't know if I will make it out of the closet anytime soon to help battle this one but I will support those who are out there on my behalf.

There is legislation this week in Texas and in North Carolina that will effectively outlaw abortion in both states. I'm sure the laws will be challenged, and they will be taken to the Supreme Court, but in the meantime, there will be women who will be forced to bear children they do not want, and women who will use dangerous methods to abort pregnancies they're terrified by. Women like Wendy Davis in Texas understand that people who support legal abortion are not pro-murdering babies. They are, instead, about protecting the lives of women, and of girls.
I will NOT live in a country that values the life of a fetus over the life of a woman. My daughter will grow up to be a woman, and I will not her value reduced to how long she can incubate. My sons will NOT grow up in a world that tells them that if their wife or sister is raped, well, too bad. Just wait while your wife carries the rapist's baby for a while, and then you can have your incubator back for your own brood.
My children have more value than a fetus does. A fetus is NOT a baby, any more than an acorn is an oak tree. The logic is flawed, and the intention behind the recent bills is clear. It is NOT to save babies, or to protect women, but to control women.
And I'm going to fight for as long as it takes so that the world where my daughter grows up is a better one than my mother's world.

No comments: