6.26.2013

V8

About two years ago there was lots of talk and debate about Austin building Circuits of America to bring Formula 1 Racing to the area. While we watch a lot of sports over here, racing is not one that makes the list. The closest thing I've come to really care about racing it watching Talladega Nights. Whether I should admit it or not it is one of my favorite movies.


Despite it being a big deal for Austin, I have had no real interest in the Circuits of America track or going to see a race out there. That is until I had a friend and coworker (known as Q) who originates from Australia come to town (via Boston) for some meetings. On my way in to meet him I heard a horrible commercial with a guy trying to fake an Australian accent to talk about the V8 races that were coming to town. Of course since Q is Australian and knows all things Australia, I asked 50 questions when I arrived at the office. Turns out that Q has a thing for V8 racing. Even more serendipitous was later that night while Q was out on the town he ran in to some guys from Australia who were pit managers for one of the race teams and scored himself some tickets.

Obviously you know where we are going here. Since Q is from Boston and has a family who needed him at home that weekend, he had tickets he couldn't use so he asked if I wanted them. I was inclined to say no but  thought just maybe the boys might be interested. Long of the short (because I am month behind on this blog post), V8 racing was pretty freaking amazing. I can't claim to be an expert in anything racing but it was thrilling to watch it. So much adrenaline, fear, and excitement. It may also help that the announcer was Australian and who doesn't love to listen to a good accent?  I won't lie, if someone gave me a chance to take a car on the track, I'd do it. Not sure I will start watching NASCAR anytime soon or wear any racing team gear but I might consider going back to see the V8s when they come to town again next year.









A big thanks to Q for sharing his tickets. I wonder what other Australian things he can share? A kangaroo?

No comments: