12.11.2010

kid pitch tourney

JT and two of his buddies were asked if they wanted to play in a kid pitch tournament. While I was hesitant JT was ecstatic and talked about the tournament during the two weeks leading up to it. Why was I hesitant? I guess it is that silly mama bear syndrome, I was just worried for JT. Moving from coach pitch to kid pitch is a huge leap. The field is bigger, the rules change, and well you are batting against a "real" pitcher. 

The team was great, the tournament was great, JT played well for someone that has never played, and I managed to keep myself together the entire weekend. We lost all three games we played but it was a young team (most of them new to kid pitch) and a mix of kids that don't normally play together. Most importantly, all of the kids had fun. I admit that I am glad we have one more season of coach pitch and plenty of time to practice playing kid-pitch rules. I guarantee I will struggle with staying calm in the fall and not biting off my fingernails but I know JT will catch on quickly  (just like he has every other season) and will hopefully continue to love playing the game as much as I love to watch him.

The cutest part of the game was JT giving the "time" signal to the umpire. This is one of the many new rules from coach to kid and one that JT was ready to use.

It is great to see these photos after the game.  He has his eye on the ball just where it should be and didn't swing. It was close but looks like this one was inside.

JT checking his swing and looking to the ump for a call.

No comments: