11.15.2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book Signing

JT's reading habits have been interesting. I think I have mentioned before that his first big, complete, read-it-on-my-own read was a biography about Roberto Clemente. After that he started some other books but he struggled with finding something that kept his attention until he bought Diary of Wimpy Kid #4 (for the record Rick purchased the book because I would have never sanctioned reading a series backwards) and then consumed 3, 2, and 1 (in reverse order because for some reason he thought it was fun).

Since then he has read other books although he started AR (Advanced Reading? or maybe Accelerated Reading?) at school this year and reading suddenly lost its enjoyment and became about a competition and being frustrated about not being able to read the Warrior books (which I think I am fine with him not reading - it is a series of books written by multiple people about a some warring factions of cats). And while he could read the Warrior books he can't check them out from the library because you can only get books within your AR level.

As usual I digress because what this is all about is that Diary of a Wimpy Kid #5 is out and thanks to the Largents being in the know we found out that Jeff Kinney would be at BookPeople for a signing. I took the little boys and Lexy took the big boys.

I should ask JT to provide a guest blog post to fully capture the event. He absolutely loved going. BookPeople had games set up, they got to meet the two stars of the movie, and of course they had their books autographed by Jeff Kinney, which when Rick and I asked JT if he told the kids at school about he responded with  "only certain moms and dads and a friend like Rhys would think having a book signed is cool."

Lexy has tons of cool shots that you can see, just click here.

And for the record although I have no photos to prove it, I took Zach and Griffin to Science Night at school. The teachers set up various experiments and activities throughout the school. The hit of the evening of course is the coke explosion, which is where they put a package of mentos in a 2-liter bottle of coke and it well, explodes or rather gushers out.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Oh my gosh, if the students at my school knew about the book signing they would poop their pants! It's a major major craze with them!